USS Pigeon was the lead ship of its class of
submarine rescue ships. The ship was laid down on July 17, 1968 by the
Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co., Mobile, Alabama. It was launched
on August 13, 1969, and commissioned on April 28, 1973.
This new class
of submarine rescue ships was designed to operate with the Navy's new
deep submergence rescue vehicles. The twin hull provided excellent
stability for deep water operations and provided generous space for
working on deck. The ship could carry two deep submergence vehicles on
its main deck and when necessary, could dock to a disabled submarine on
the sea bottom, remove survivors, and transport them to the surface.
Pigeon also carried the McCann diving bell, or rescue chamber, which was used to rescue the survivors of the submarine Squalus (SS-192) in 1939.
Pigeon was decommissioned on August 31, 1992 and entered the Maritime Administration’s Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet on September 4, 1992. The ship was sold for dismantlement and departed the fleet on Januray 9, 2012.
The Maritime Administration completed a National Register of Historic Places eligibility assessment for Pigeon which includes a narrative history of the vessel. It can be viewed in the Documents section.
Vessel Name History
No Mission for this vessel
||9/4/1992||Entered Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet|
||2/7/1996||Sold for scrap to Pegasus, Inc. Sale eventually failed.|
||5/12/1998||Returned to fleet after failed scrap sale|
||12/18/1998||Title transferred from US Navy to MARAD, for disposal|
||3/23/2001||Depart due to loan as training platform|
||3/26/2001||Long term MOA w. Chief Naval Ed & Trng|
||8/8/2005||Return from Navy training platform use in San Diego, CA|
||1/9/2012||Departed under domestic sale contract with International Shipbreaking LTD. in Brownsville, TX.|
No documents for this vessel
No ship wreck information for this vessel